Thursday, August 4, 2011

Settled in:





So we are in the south. It is HOT! There are bugs! Montgomery is a small city which is nice. I want to get some pictures from around the city but I haven't managed to do that, as the heat is really getting to me. It is a city of great history that I think went through some really tough times. They are in the process of really trying to clean it up and develop the downtown area. Progress has been made and there are some great restaurants and things to do down there. There is also so much to keep doing.

The city is trying hard. Right now we get 3 trash pick ups a week. I was shocked when they told us. They pick up regular trash twice a week and on Wednesday they take anything.......a great way to encourage people to clean up their yards, homes and what ever else needs to be fixed up. It was so nice to have all our packing materials hauled away the same week.

In our neighborhood there are some beautiful old houses. Some have been totally fixed up others need a loving hand. There are some for sale that are quite tempting. I love the old houses, they all have front porches and most have swings on them. All of our neighbors have been so nice, we even had a porch full the other night!

Maxwell AFB is nice. The commissary is huge and has pretty much everything you could want. The BX is not huge but bigger then GF still hard to find what I am looking for though. With a 10% sales tax it is worth the trip if I find what I am looking for. You don't realize how great tax free is until you move somewhere with such a high tax....and that tax is on everything! The base itself is small, well smaller then I thought it would be. All the buildings are the same color which when I was first driving around it made it kind of hard to pick out buildings as they all look alike. I guess that is one thing I just don't get is all the buildings being the same.

Anyway, I did manage to get a few pictures of the house with some of stuff unpacked. I will include some more later. I know they are on Facebook but thought for a couple of friends I would include some pictures so they can see too.

No comments: