Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Traditions....





The holidays are a time for family traditions. Long before the Air Force took us away from our home, back when we were just kids, Christmas was always with our families. I was lucky to have Grandparents close by so they always were around at Christmas as well. I always looked forward to Grammy's visit.....they always had great gifts and she made the best gravy and plum pudding! Once we started a family it was Christmas at our home with both sides of the family joining us. We would split Christmas eve at my moms or Lloyd's moms.

Then at almost 10 years into our lives the service moved us away and our traditions were suddenly changed. We were in a state so far away, not someplace our families wanted to be. We had to start new family traditions. It was just the 3 of us with friends joining us for dinner. We always got a puzzle and after the gifts were opened and the meal gone the puzzle would be put together. This continued for about 5 years and then of course things changed again. Lloyd was going to be gone on a remote......12 months of just Jason and I. We moved to Alberta where it really was just the 2 of us. We actually celebrated Christmas almost 3 weeks early that year, before Lloyd headed up to Alaska. We got out a few games and played for points crowning a winner after all the games were played. Before we knew it we had started a tradition!

Now 13 years later we continue to play a set amount of games for a certain amount of points. 4 years ago when Jason and Amanda started getting serious she was invited to join in this Buzzell Family Tradition........If she could fit in and hold her own in this very competitive, sometimes name calling, fun filled few days then maybe it was time to propose! Needless to say she did fit in and now what started off with 3 family members is now up to 4! We have a trophy and it is passed on to the winner every year. Web sights, email and most recently twitter has been added to send up dates and information as to how the tournament is going. We have people emailing and calling to see how things are going. Amanda even started a fan club for this years tournament.

Some may say things get a little heated and the true meaning of Christmas at times is thrown out the window.....but we are all together and doing something together. Yes the TV maybe on and the lap top computers are waiting to be used but for a little while we are really focused on the games and just hanging out together. Lots of food and drink consumed and laughs and memories are created. I love this about our Christmas Traditions. I know once grand kids come along thing will once again change. I hope we can somewhat continue our traditions, the most important is being together at sometime during the holiday. We are learning to share a few days here with us and a few days there with Amanda's parents. At some point I hope we are close enough to enjoy it all together.

I miss being close to my family out east, but things have changed.......our goal is to try and stay close to Jason and Amanda.......but if that doesn't work I pray we will be healthy enough to travel and be with them every holiday.

I pray everyone out there has some family traditions and memories they treasure. To everyone this holiday....I hope you had a Merry Christmas and may this New Year bring you health and many blessings.

By the way Amanda won this years tournament! I had to pass on my trophy!

No comments: