Wednesday, May 26, 2010

341st Missile Wing Change of Command





I wish I was as good with words as my son and my husband, they know how to catch your attention and keep it....with a joke or connection to a peer or even our dog! I am not that talented but I hope I can get across just how much I will miss the Fortneys.

It is not that we were best friends. In fact Col Fortney has been my husbands boss for over 4 years! First at FE Warren AFB as a group commander and then here as a the Wing Commander. In this position we see them all the time at base functions as the leader and commander of this base.

However this assignment I got to be a little bit closer to them through Karen. We connected this time around. Through the luck of not a whole lot of group commanders having spouses, and even more spouses having young children we found out we had a lot in common. Our sons are grown, almost the same age, and married. We love to take pictures, and Karen has become a history buff and the state of Montana is full of history. I know my way around this state pretty well and soon we were going for trips and exploring and a friendship was developing.

I saw so much happen in the last couple of years. People worked so hard and went through a lot during these 2 years and yet it seemed they all stayed close. It will be hard to see them move on but one thing I have learned by this friendship is being a wing commander is tough work. It is hard on your family as well as yourself. Yet this family remained positive, continued to work hard, and usually had a smile!

I hope that this next assignment will be great. The new home will be amazing and the new hours a little less demanding. Take care Col Fortney, Karen and Dora. We will miss you!

No comments: