Sunday, May 9, 2010

Retirements and friends





So last night my husband says: "Are you ever going to update your blog?" It was a surprise because I didn't even think he read it! So here is a little bit on our time in Cheyenne last weekend.

Col Batway was retiring and Lloyd had said a year ago when it was announced he wanted to go....it ended up being a big trip for the base as several people from Malmstrom made the trip down for the ceremony. Of course for me it is all about seeing my old neighbors.......things are pretty much the same but it is all going to end this summer, so to get a peak back to the good old days it was time to go visit.

Becky and Col Martinez allowed us and the dog to live with them at their house for the weekend. Charlie loves it there as Sparky, Chico and Jojo are all there to play with.......it can be a bit overwhelming but if you are a dog it is fun fun fun! Thanks again Becky.......

We had dinner with all the old loopers minus Patty(Gary out of town and Ethan was sick)she did however make a great salad. The food, wine and friends gathered around the Kortes table is one thing I miss so much......we ate,drank and talked for a couple of hours.......then we got the idea to head to the Flints bar. It had rained a little bit along with a little sleet and it was chilly........in walking out the door I saw it was slippery, knew that I am a klutz and grabbed the hand rail to walk down the stairs.......in about 2 seconds I was flat on my behind and sliding down the flight of stairs on my big old butt! Several seconds later after catching my breath I did manage to get up and walk but knew I was going to be sore. Well that put an end to our night......and it was bed time!

We had talked about leaving on Saturday afternoon but decided to stay. There was a baby shower going on that I crashed and got to see Julie Gheesling and it was Jen Gutierrez shower........I got to meet Julies beautiful baby boy and enjoy Jens moment in the spot light.....she is going to have a baby girl in July! Later that evening we went to a comedy show and then afterwards we had some quiet time at the Hawkins.......before we knew it the night and the weekend were gone and it was time to head north.

So much is changing back at FE this summer, so many people are leaving and of course the usual change overs. It was nice to get a glimpse back into the past and enjoy what little time we had together. I will miss everyone, but like us the Spaths and Hays being in the military everything moves and changes. We hope to have a reunion of all us old neighbors in the next few years.

As for me and my sore behind, it seems to be getting better, who knew sitting could be so painful. Well I think it was mostly my pride that was bruised but let me say when you hurt your derriere you soon learn how important it is!

Until my next adventure, which is another ghost town in Montana, enjoy and watch where you step!

No comments: