Sunday, May 12, 2013

Being a Mom!

moth·er 1  (mr)
n.
1.
a. A female person who is pregnant with or gives birth to a child.
b. A female person whose egg unites with a sperm, resulting in the conception of a child.
c. A woman who adopts a child.
d. A woman who raises a child.
2. A female parent of an animal.
3. A female ancestor.
4. A woman who holds a position of authority or responsibility similar to that of a mother: a den mother.
5. Roman Catholic Church
a. A mother superior.
b. Used as a form of address for such a woman.
6. A woman who creates, originates, or founds something: "the discovery of radium, which made Marie Curie mother to the Atomic Age" (Alden Whitman).
7. A creative source; an origin: Philosophy is the mother of the sciences.
8. Used as a title for a woman respected for her wisdom and age.
9. Maternal love and tenderness: brought out the mother in her.
10. The biggest or most significant example of its kind: the mother of all battles.
11. Vulgar Slang Something considered extraordinary, as in disagreeableness, size, or intensity.

adj.
1. Relating to or being mother.
2. Characteristic of a mother: mother love.
3. Being the source or origin: the mother church.
4. Derived from or as if from one's mother; native: one's mother language.

v. moth·ered, moth·er·ing, moth·ers

v.tr.
1. To give birth to; create and produce.
2. To watch over, nourish, and protect maternally.

v.intr.
To act or serve as a mother.
 
Wow now that is a lot of words defining what a mother is!  There are a few I tend to disagree with.  Like giving birth!  To me giving birth does not make you a mother.  I have seen a lot people give birth that should not be moms.  This a little political so I will stop there with this point.  I have also seen a lot people adopt a child or foster a child and they so deserve the title mom, mother or mum!
 
Becoming a mom is a major step in our lives.  It means being responsible for a life for the next 18 years but it doesn't stop there.......we continue to worry and fret and cry and smile at all our children's success and failures through life.  Then hopefully somewhere along the way we become "Grand Ma or Grammy or Nana and then there is a another little child that we did not give birth to but we start to see grow and mature and become a new little person usually very much like the little person we raised and loved.
 
Our children are not with us long.........usually a very short time but during that time they are under our care it is the most important years to them as well as to us.  When we become moms we have a job, a mission to make this person become the best they can be.  There may be disagreements and fights but there is also some time spent laughing, cheering and just plain sitting back and watching our children grow and develop.
 
Before we know it they are grown adults dealing with everyday life that we can no longer shelter them from. And then we watch them become parents. 
 
The hardest things about being a mom is seeing our kids leave.  That is the plan, they are going to leave and in the end we are happy about it.  We want them back though.......we want them to visit and spend all their vacations with us, we know that is not possible but truthfully it is what we want!  :)  In the end we make amends and try to get as much time as we can.  We also try and plan our vacations around them.  Its what being a parent or mom is all about.
 
I love being able to travel and see my kids.  Sometimes I wish they were next door and other times I am happy they are not.  I want my son to want to come and see me as much as I want to go visit them.  Being Air Force we are constantly on the move and living next door is just not going to happen, at least not anytime too soon.  So we continue to travel..........
 
Even though Sunday is a Hallmark Holiday it is important to remember your mom.  We all don't have the perfect mom, I know I have been far from perfect.  I think of my grandparents and how much I miss both of my Grammy's.  Grammy Grace was the glue that held part of our family together.  Her phone calls will always be missed, I miss Grammy Banks I think she was an amazing woman......and I miss her strength and her love of her grandkids.  These women grew up in tough times and in tough situations but they survived, married until death due them part and a very strong faith in life and family.  My mom and Mother in law are in NH and we don't get home very often, but we think of them often and yes you are in our conversations.  We all wish we lived closer to home but life gave us a different plan.  We love you both.  I know life was not always easy, but yet here we are strong adults in a strong marriage and being successful.  You did okay Mom!
 
One of the best gifts I ever got from my son was poem he wrote when he was a teenager.  I still have it!  The next best gifts, was  a great daughter in law followed by an amazing grandson.  For these reasons I celebrate Mothers Day.  I am very happy to say I am a mom and very much looking forward to Sunday with my husband celebrating a day for Moms!





 
Last year I sent a Mother's Day Poem for you.
This year I figured I do a another one too!

All this year you've cooked great dinners.
You didn't mind me, cheering for the OIL loudly, even though they weren't winners.

Now that I moved back, you keep reminding me how much you do;
Even sometimes when it seems I'm down and feeling blue.

You fold my clothes and let me go golf.
But, I'll never forget all those things you did for me in Bawlf.

You make me feel good about coming back to live here,
Everyday you do stuff for me, though down here I'm not allowed to drink beer.

But that's no big deal, I'VE GOT YOU
We go bowling and go to movies like friends, not something other guys can say they do.

You did the dirty work when my car went away,
And I want to thank you for all that you did on this one day in May.

For all of the driving, for all of the sports, and all of the bugging.
For all that you put up with, you deserve more hugging.

I know I don't tell you how I feel always, sometimes it's hard to say what I really mean.
I just hope another poem, will make you realize you're the best mom I've ever seen!


Happy Mother's Day Mom!!!!!!
From you're son.....
JASON

No comments: