Sunday, November 8, 2009

2009 Mercantile Auction





Every Year we do an Auction which is a fund raiser for the Spouses Club on Base. In turn we give all the money away! A good chunk is given to the scholarship fund. We give $1000 scholarships to dependants of active duty military, retirees and Guard and Reserves. Last year we were able to give away 12 and looks like about the same this year. We also give money to local charities and some national charities. Our other fund raiser is the Thrift Shop on base.

The local community is a big donor to the cause. A lot of local businesses donated merchandise to be auctioned as well as the people on the base all put together stuff from all the squadrons as well individual donations. We had 76 items including dessert to be auctioned. I think we had over 125 people attend which was both military and local people from the community.

Last night was ours for 2009. We had a great time! Lloyd and Larry were spotters for the bidders and of course they just couldn't be normal......so we went to the costume shop and found some 1970's tuxedos in baby blue and couldn't resist! Lloyd also had dozens of hats so as you can see in a couple of pictures they changed hats often.

I was happy our basket with my quilt went to friends......I hope Monica gets to use it in Louisiana when they move this summer, but I guess maybe this winter it will get a little use!

We got a dinner at the Fortneys along with the Adkins, Pappas, and Kravitzkeys(sp). I know we can't wait and we did pay a lot for it!!!!!

In the end the baskets were sold and we made $13,000~! Until next year!

Lots more pictures on Facebook, including pictures of all the things that were auctioned.

No comments: