Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A weekend in the country.......





I finally got my weekend to drive north and visit Val for a few days. While planning and talking to Val I found out a couple of other friends from Bawlf were going to be in town.........Bawlf is about 7 hours from Frontier where Val is now living. For anyone who may not know I lived up in Alberta for a couple of years while Lloyd was on a remote assignment to Alaska......we still have our little house up there but my neighbor and very close friend bought a family business way down in Saskatchewan in a farming community that many years before my son Jason had played in hockey tournaments there and we also spent a couple of his birthdays there. Needless to say it was quite a surprise to hear she was moving there.

Fast forward about 3 years and we are back in Montana and it is only 236 miles to drive up there and see Val. It is a easy drive and truly there is no reason not to drive up unless it is bad weather. So I finally just jumped in the car and went. I arrived about 3 and we waited for Sherry and Marilyn to arrive. There is a quilt store about 7 miles from Val's and she let them know we were coming and so they opened up the store just for us. It is a beautiful little store in a very small community. After about an hour we had our bags filled with fabric and then headed back to Val's to see what we could do with what we had bought.

Sherry has never quilted or really sewed for that matter.........she is a English teacher! So Val being the creative soul she is designed a simple pattern for her and then we began by showing her how to cut....in about an hour she had it all cut out and was ready to take it home to be sewed. I too got mine all cut out and hopefully will have it all put together tonight.

On Sunday we went to church, then a pot luck lunch followed by a dinner hosted by the village of Frontier. It amazes me how these small communities come together. Everyone in the town comes out to help and to enjoy the day. I experienced a little of this living up in Bawlf but it was different as we still had cities so close to us. Camrose was only 12 miles away and I was there daily.....Edmonton only 60 miles and even that trip became daily when Jason played hockey......but Frontier is very isolated.......there are not cities 12 miles away..........so the communities really are close. They value their time at church and being with their neighbors.

It was a nice get away......and we are planning more time to get together, after all I won't always be so close to Canada and my friends of many years.

No comments: