Alabama wine trail
CNN tour
Falcons Football
Nashville baby!
Biscuits Baseball
College sports
The capital tours...amazing
Jack Daniels
Take a carriage ride!
Elvis birth place
Tampa Bay!!!!
Spring Training
The Gulf Shores
Our 10 months in Alabama went quickly. It was a great year and if we could do it again I wouldn't change a thing except maybe do more! For all you military people headed that way esp coming from Missile bases it is the best year to hang out with your family and do some sightseeing and just enjoy yourself for a while. Yes there is studying...........but they work that into your schedule.
I can't pick one favorite thing as there is really so much to do. We also are an empty nest so my things aren't always kid friendly but for the most part I think families and empty nesters can do a lot down there.
My first suggestion is sign up with the spouses group. It is always my first suggestion at any base. You want friends and ideas of what an where to go these are the people to help you. Maxwell has a great spouses group.......lots of groups and things to do. I also took the year off from being an organizer and it was nice.....but I still was involved.
Next the downtown area is just awesome........the resturants and the baseball park are great. Also take in a few football games...........the stadium is really close to downtown and is beautiful and the games are fun! I wish we had gone to a couple more.....and I am not a huge football fan! All of these things are kid friendly.....and if you want a night for mom and dad then get a sitter and enjoy the night life down there!
The military balls are a must do there..........I know if you have kids it is tough.....but really get to them all.........we were late signing up for the Scottish thing and we missed it.......everyone loved it. Also the Marine Ball is packed and has lots of fun things going on...........trust me worth the expense.
Get to Florida........and the Gulf Shores of Alabama............it is beautiful down there! Rent a condo and enjoy the weather...........for everyone coming from the north.........you need to get to the beach!
Go to Nashville......and Memphis.........visit where Elvis was born and do the Alabama wine trail........these were all great places to visit. Jack Daniels is on the way to Nashville and worth the tour as well. It is a beautiful place to walk around and hear the history. It is still a dry county though so no samples!
Go to Atlanta! There is so much to do there! From the aquarium to the Coke musuem. You can take in a broadway play and a football game! All kid friendly and worth the trip for the weekend.
You usually don't have to worry about snow.....but I hear it does do that some.....we never saw a flake!
Get out enjoy the area and enjoy the time in Montgomery........I loved it there and truly it will be fun if you look for good things to do and see. The shopping is good and the resturants are even better. My favorites are downtown SAZA's and Central which just opened .....actually all the resturants downtown are good! Love "The Chop House", and "Garretts" these are not downtown but soooo good!
I will miss the south..........I hope those on their way will enjoy it as much as I did. Most of all enjoy your time with your family..........it is back to the real world when you leave!
No comments:
Post a Comment