Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Memories...........

 

Today while unpacking I got a little sentimental about stuff!  I got thinking about things that are important to me but when we are gone will mean nothing to my kids!  I guess with some health issues in our families it makes me think about what will happen when we are no longer here but our "stuff" is?

These beer glasses got to me!  Beer glasses of all things!  They are from places we have been, squadrons we have been assigned to, and numerous functions we have attended.  As I unwrapped each one it brought back memories from all things that were linked to these glasses.  An example is the Firestone mug.......we met the bachelor at Vandenburg AFB serving beer......we had to have a mug!  One of the great events in Great Falls was the Blues and Brews so of course we had to get a mug.  From the sporting events of the many Oiler games to the Avalanche to the Bruins hockey.  There is mug with some memory attached to it.  Do we need 30+ beer mugs?  No but when I tried to decide what to loose I couldn't part with one.  It brought a smile to my face as I remembered the event.........but these memories are Lloyd and I's not anyone else.



Now it is not only beer mugs that fill our shelves with memories it is wine glasses!  I have way too many!  I have boxes in storage of many wine glasses,  all of which have so many memories.  The Wine and Food Festival in Great Falls, the many wineries I toured in California to the Alabama wine trail that Diana and I worked so hard on just to get what else but a "Wine Glass" to the beautiful set given to me by amazing friends from FE!  I almost cried when I unwrapped one wine glass that was broken......it was from the dollar store for peat's sake!  I bought the set to decorate a table at a church gathering!  They have been used several times in decorating tables in fact I even won 2nd place at FE Warren for my table decor that included the very pretty purple wine glasses.  Now that I only have 5 they can no longer be used to decorate a table again! Once again I was like I need to get rid of some of these but to no avail they are in the kitchen cupboard!

Its funny the things that bring back memories.  Being in the military and moving so much you get to unwrap these things and jolt the memories.........but what about when we don't move anymore and we are not entertaining and this stuff sits in our cupboards waiting to be used but is slowly forgotten! 

We are always saying we need to get rid of stuff..........and really we do get rid of stuff with every move.....but sometimes there are just things are important to us..........I just hope our kids don't hate us later on.......maybe they can keep one or two as memories of their crazy sentimental parents!  In the mean time when I take a mug or a glass out of the cupboard I will be remembering a friend or a place I have been and enjoyed!



No comments: