Sunday, June 1, 2008

House Finch.......



I have been reading about this little red bird which has the most amazing song. The male is a beautiful red color and they mate for life. All sounds so nice.....but I have a couple very stupid ones on my porch. They built a nest in my wreath a few weeks ago......the weather was freezing and the female did not do her part of sitting on those eggs......all have perished and the nest has been abandoned. Now the 2 are trying to build a new nest in the corner of the porch. Once again very flimsy even though all I have read says they make very sturdy nests! Yesterday the one they built was blown away but one thing about them is if they don't succeed boy do they, try try again. So today as you can see a new nest is being built by the female while the male watches and warns the female of danger. I love watching and listening to them but not sure I can stand to see more little eggs not hatch and become crow food.

No comments: